Friday, October 2, 2009

I just don't understand this...

The other day I was performing my regular ritual of cutting out coupons from the Sunday paper, when I happened upon an ad/coupon for a new product. Without going into any more detail at this time, let me just show you the ad right now...


You may need to view the larger version of the photo to be able to read all the words, but let me also just tell you that this is an ad for VIBRATING MASCARA.

OK, now I admit, I have only started regularly using mascara in the past couple of years, but I have never once thought as I was applying it, "Gee, I really wish this bristly wand I'm putting right next to my eyeball had a tiny electric motor in it so it would vibrate at a fast pace and most likely increase my chances of poking myself in the eye with it!"

I truly don't understand the point. Again, it could just be my lack of experience with the product, but I don't see how making the brush move around quickly is going to help improve your application of mascara. It kind of seems like something you want a steady hand for. (Forgive my ending the sentence with a preposition - it just sounded too stuffy the other way.)

And, of course, I can't help but point out the tagline in the ad... "Discover the power of vibration." They sure have left the door open for a slew of raunchy jokes and comments with that phrase! However, I will refrain from doing any such thing here. I'll leave that to the imaginations of those of you so inclined to think that way...

However, I would love to hear your (non-raunchy, please) comments on this product. Does anyone else have a better understanding of why the mascara-using population of the world is now better off because of this invention? Or are the rest of you just as baffled as I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment