Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!


My husband and I hosted brunch at our house today for my mom and his parents. It seemed to go over well with all of them. I made a breakfast casserole I had never made before, called Blueberry Sausage Breakfast. (Can you guess the two main ingredients?) It had more of a biscuit-y or cakey type base than I expected, but it was good, and I think everyone had seconds, so I guess I wasn't the only one who thought so. We also had scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, English muffins, and an excellent fruit salad (if I do say so myself).

I know this is an especially terrible thing to say on Mother's Day, but my mother kind of annoyed me today. As soon as she walked into the kitchen and saw me, she got a shocked expression on her face and said, "Your hair is black!" I just had it colored, and it hadn't been fully colored for about six months (I was just getting the roots touched up), so it had lightened up since last November. But it's NOT black. In fact, my hair color actually matches my eyebrows - as my mother-in-law pointed out as she stood there with us. However, my mom went on to say, "It doesn't look right. It doesn't look like a color you should have. It looks like you're wearing a wig." After that last statement, I turned to the stove, started stirring the eggs, and said as politely as possible, "Happy Mother's Day."

Of course then minutes later, I found out that on Friday my mom had slipped on the floor of a grocery store, fell down, and dislocated her finger, and actually went to the emergency room and everything. So then I felt really bad that I was annoyed with her for what she said, but at the same time I was also still kind of annoyed, because she hadn't called to tell me any of this had happened. She said it wasn't a big deal and that there wasn't any reason to bother me. Wow. If that's not a typical mother type thing to say, I don't know what is.

Anyway, the rest of the visit went all right. The mothers seemed to enjoy the opportunity to visit and chat with each other, so that was good. And everyone said several times how much they enjoyed the meal. So all in all, I think it was a pretty good Mother's Day for the both of them, which is, of couse, the most important thing on this day. I do love them both dearly and want them to be happy, so I was glad to be able to play a part in their happiness today.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to guess the two main ingredients were marshmellows and smoked codfish. Am I right?

    Blueberry Sausage breakfast brunch sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke, I can't believe you guessed correctly! The name of the dish is very deceptive. ;-)

    I wish I had brought you some of the leftovers to Game Night. I took some to work for breakfast yesterday, and they actually came out surprisingly good when reheated in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am quite surprised to hear there were leftovers. After all, how could such a delicious breakfast feast not be devoured until there was nothing left but the memories?

    ReplyDelete