Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Holiday Weekend - Saturday

On Saturday my big event was going to the Harrisburg ArtsFest with my mom, my sister Laurie, and her fiance Alex, who were visiting for the weekend.

We didn’t get over to ArtsFest until 3 or a little after. But some of the vendors we talked with said it was warmer at noon than it was at 3, so it may have worked out better for us to arrive later anyway. It seemed warm and humid enough at 3 pm, just the same!

I hadn’t been to ArtsFest in YEARS, but I made up for my absence by making quite a few purchases. I definitely ensured that some of the artists and artisans were not “starving!” :-) I bought jewelry at three different stands. At one place I "made my own necklace" by choosing a triangular glass stone from a beautiful selection, and the artisan added some silver wire and tiny beads to it, then attached it to a black cord. At $15, I thought it was a great deal.

I also bought a new print for the pub bathroom (a really cool photo of a hillside in Ireland) – a rather bold move for me, since I normally wouldn’t purchase artwork without consulting with Brian first. But I had a feeling he would like the picture, and when I showed it to him, he said it reminded him of some picture from a Tolkein book he had, and he thought it looked kind of like Middle-Earth, so I took that to mean he liked it. :-)

The other thing I bought was a cool pottery piece made by a lady from Topeka, Kansas – it’s two small bowls connected with a handle, which I think will be perfect for serving dips or salsas at our parties.

We were at ArtsFest until between 6 and 6:30; by that time, we were all getting pretty tired of walking and being out in the heat. (And I had spent more than enough money there!!) We went back to my mom’s, where she showed us a few pictures and we visited a little, and then Laurie, Alex, and I headed back to my house – with a stop at Rite Aid first to pick up some caffeinated beverages, because by this time we were really feeling beat! I needed the energy just to be able to drive home!

Once home, we talked with Brian about how we spent our respective days, then we ordered a late supper from the local pizza shop. After we ate, we hung out for a while, not doing much of anything other than checking out Laurie and Alex's new iPhones, and then we all headed to bed relatively early (around 11 pm, I think).

No comments:

Post a Comment