Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Limerick Day

Yes, folks, today is Limerick Day. (Seriously, there is a holiday for just about everything under the sun!!)

And, since I enjoy writing poetry every now and again, I felt the need to compose a limerick (actually a series of limericks) in honor of this holiday. Here you go:

It just came to my attention
That this day is one worthy of mention.
It’s Limerick Day,
So I’d like to say
A few words about this invention.

A limerick’s no everyday rhyme;
There are rules you must follow each time.
For lines one, two and five,
You must always strive
To ensure that the last words all rhyme.

For lines three and four of the verse,
They shouldn’t be lengthy, but terse.
And make sure line four
Rhymes with the line before,
Or you’ll just make your limerick worse.

There’s really not much more to tell
About limerick writing – well,
That isn’t quite true.
Sometimes they’re quite blue!
But to write like that – don’t feel compelled.

And now it is time that I close,
And go back to writing some prose.
But before that, I’ll say
“Happy Limerick Day!”
And that is enough, I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I learned the rules of limericks within an actual limerick. It seems fitting.

    ReplyDelete