Saturday, July 4, 2009

California - brief trip report

Once again, I feel I must start my post with an apology. I'm sorry I haven't posted anything for so long. Over the past few weeks, there were a lot of things I wanted to talk about - my bike odometer passing 100 miles, my first bike ride in the rain (both were on the same trip), and a few other things that I've since forgotten. But June turned out to be such a busy month that I just never found the time to sit down and write about them.

However, one thing I did do in June, that I'm definitely going to make time to report about, was my first-ever trip to California. Brian had to go out to Monterey for a work conference, and after the conference ended, I flew out to join him and spend a long weekend there.

Simply put, we had a great time! We drove on the scenic 17-Mile Drive, a coastal toll road which goes to Carmel and Pebble Beach (home of a very famous golf course), and took lots of pictures of the coastline and the sea life there (most notably the sea lions and harbor seals). We also spent a lot of time at Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf, shopping and dining. We visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which was at least as nice, if not nicer, than the National Aquarium in Baltimore, for those familiar with that venue. And, last but not least, Brian and I tried kayaking for the first time! We went on a guided kayak tour of the Bay area and learned about the different kinds of kelp, algae, and other sea life in the ocean, but more importantly, we got to observe some sea otters, including mothers with babies, as well as more sea lions and a couple of harbor seals. And of course the most important part of the kayak trip was that we didn't tip over! :-)

Now, my next task is to go through the HUNDREDS of pictures we took out there and decide which ones to post. We went a little crazy taking pictures of the seals and sea lions, because we were so excited to see them, so I'll have to be judicious in selecting how many to share online. But as I get them posted, I will let you know! And as I get the pictures posted, my intent right now is to also post a little more detail here about the part of the trip for which I've posted the pictures. But at least if I don't get that accomplished, you know now pretty much what we did and that we had a very good time. :-)

Oh, and one more thing before I end this - Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment