Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Annual Planting

After I won the "War of the Roses," I turned my attention to the market packs of vinca and celosia waiting to be planted. It took me about three hours to plant all of the flowers (hey, that rhymed!), which, when you divide 3 hours by 72 plants, means it took me about 2 1/2 minutes to plant each flower. It probably would have taken less time, if it weren't for the crumbly soil of the vinca plants - unlike the celosia, the vinca refused to come out of the market packs in one nice compact clump of soil with the roots all wound around the outside. So I had to take extra time with each of them, making sure I got enough of the roots and also enough soil from the plastic tray to give them the best chance of survival in our nasty clay soil.

72 plants sounds like a lot, and it certainly felt like a lot when I was planting them, but when you have a lot of ground to cover, 72 plants don't really make much of an impact. Below are pictures of my flowerbeds after I finished planting everything. I realize they don't look nearly as impressive as the example pictures I posted before. However, the plants will grow and fill in some of the spaces, plus in the larger flower bed, I wanted to make sure I left enough space around the mum plants that came back from last year and are starting to grow and spread. And besides all that, I really didn't want to spend any more money on flowers. I don't like gardening enough to enjoy spending lots of time and/or money on it. I basically do the bare minimum to make things look presentable according to the standards of suburbia. :-)








So now that I've finished that annual chore (pun intended), I'm hoping the plants will take root and grow well and add some color and, dare I say beauty, to the front yard throughout the summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment